Construction is wrapping up at 122 Community Center, the renovation by Deborah Berke Partners of a former public school that now serves as the home of four arts and community service organizations. The building was completed in 1894 by C.B.J. Snyder and operated as a public school until 1976. Since 1977, the original school building has housed arts and community organizations which will remain in the newly upgraded structure. Those organizations include: AIDS Service Center NYC, Mabou Mines, Painting Space 122, and Performance Space 122.
Along with upgrading the existing school building for code compliance and improvements to each of the organizations' space, a five-story addition at the northern boundary of the site will add more public function spaces and a unified circulation system for the building. A perforated, crimped metal panel clads the new addition, partially screening the large windows behind. The lightness of the metal panel serves as the perfect foil to the heaviness of the original brick structure, reflective by day and light transmitting by night. A long canopy clad in a similar metal mesh will extend from the addition out to the sidewalk, announcing the building's new entry to the community.
Architect: Deborah Berke Partners; Client: NYC Department of Design and Construction; Program: Space for Arts and Community Service Organizations; Location: East Village, New York, NY; Completion: 2017.